Normal People (TV, 2020)


Directors:
Lenny Abrahamson, Hettie Macdonald
Stars: Daisy Edgar-Jones, Paul Mescal

Synopsis: Follows Marianne and Connell, from different backgrounds but the same small town in Ireland, as they weave in and out of each other's romantic lives.


Verdict: Marianne is a school outcast constantly ridiculed by her peers due to her feisty attitude and lonesome nature. Connell, on the other hand, sits at the cool table where he gets to boast about his athletic achievements. The two don’t have much in common, but they secretly have feelings for one another. Feelings that ultimately blossomed into a relationship kept hidden from the public as Connell doesn’t want his social status at school to be in jeopardy.
This brief summary constitutes the first brick in what is going to become a typical “will they, won’t they” relationship spanning over the course of years. The 12-episode long limited series sees the couple evolve together, sharing joyful and tearful moments that will only strengthen the link they share. It’s an ode to young romance that leaves an everlasting impact on those who experience it, but one that I didn’t find as captivating as the many viewers who have been praising it since it aired about a year ago.
The reasons for that slight frustration boil down to two major issues I had with the show: the lack of chemistry shared by the couple and the bland development of Connell’s character. Despite attempts to justify why Marianne would fall for a person like him, I found him to be a pretty nasty individual, making it difficult to root for him as he has a talent for making despicable decisions. His wooden portrayal by Paul Mescal contrasts the excellent performance by Daisy Edgar-Jones as his second half, which in turn directly affected the chemistry they shared as it mostly came from one side only, even in the many steamier scenes. On multiple occasions, I was reminded of the “50 Shades” trilogy, which is obviously never a good thing to have on your resume.
But I have a poor track record of finishing television shows, and the fact that I got through it all in 4 days only proves to me that it did some things rights. I was mostly pleased with the very chill vibes brought by the score and cinematography, and can’t deny that I found myself craving it after long days of work. Despite the issues I cited earlier, I was still taken by the imperfect bond that these imperfect characters shared with one another, even if it got too repetitive in the end.
All in all, the best way to summarize how I felt about “Normal People” is by saying that I don’t regret giving it a shot, but highly doubt that I’ll be tuning in for a potential second season. 

FINAL GRADE: 6/10

Comments