The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)


Director:
Jacques Demy
Stars: Catherine Deneuve, Nino Castelnuovo, Anne Vernon
Runtime: 91 minutes

Synopsis: A young woman separated from her lover by war faces a life-altering decision.


Verdict: With "La La Land" being one of my favorite movies of all time, it only made sense for me to check out the French classic that inspired it. And while the similarities between the two films are more than apparent, it was a relief to see that they both stand out on their own two feet. In fact, Jacques Demy's "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" filled me with the same wonder I felt when I watch Damien Chazelle's masterpiece for the first time and it wasn't until the very end that the parallels became clear to me.
For approximately an hour and a half, I was transported into a world of music and striking bright colors. A world that for a second made me forget about the one we currently live in and which, more than ever, is devoid of everything that made Demy's universe such an immersive one. At the center of it is a rather simple love story between Geneviève, played by the colossally talented Catherine Deneuve, and Guy, portrayed by Nino Castelnuovo. It's a love story submerged in old-fashioned romance, fantasies, and heartbreaks. A soft roller-coaster of emotions that left a deep impact on me as the movie reached its conclusion.
Aside from a couple of nitpicks related to some of the film's transitions and lyrics, I can say with confidence that "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" comfortably and instantly became one of my favorite musicals of all time, which is saying a lot considering how big of a fan I am of the genre. I obviously cannot recommend it enough especially if, like me, "La La Land" holds a special place in your heart.

FINAL GRADE: 9/10

Comments