The Godfather (1972)


Director:
Francis Ford Coppola
Stars: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan
Runtime: 175 minutes

Synopsis: The aging patriarch of an organized crime dynasty transfers control of his clandestine empire to his reluctant son.


Verdict: With a remastered version of the third chapter on the horizon, I found the timing to be ideal to revisit one of the most iconic trilogies of all time. That is, of course, Francis Ford Coppola's "Godfather trilogy", considered by many to feature one of the best movies and one of the best sequels ever made.
Based on the Mario Puzo best-selling novel of the same name, the 1972 Oscar-winning epic paved the way for a generation of crime films to come. I could spend hours talking about its gorgeous cinematography, exceptional pacing, and timeless score, but many people more qualified than me have already done it in a way I could never replicate. And focusing on the technical aspect of "The Godfather" would be undermining what truly kept me invested in all 175 minutes of it: the characters. Many people view the film as being Vito Corleone's story, highlighted by a performance for the ages from Marlon Brando. And while I do agree that his path of self-destruction as he struggles to adapt to new norms is a fascinating one to dissect, watching his two sons - and most notably Al Pacino's Michael - evolve is equally as riveting. Not only are their working methods drastically different, making their personalities somewhat stand out, but we also get to watch Michael transform from a war veteran who wanted nothing to do with his family's business to slowly becoming a key component in it, losing his innocence and compassion along the way.
The few complaints I have about this masterpiece are negligible, and as I'm writing this review only an hour after my viewing, all I can remember are some cheesy lines thrown in on a couple of occasions. It's a phenomenal film that still holds up perfectly nearly 50 years after its release and a fascinating peek at an underground world run by corrupt men in suits (something we can all still witness in politics today). If you haven't seen it, I strongly suggest you do. However, I'd also recommend managing your expectations as many people's experience is shadowed by the gargantuan hype that surrounds it.

FINAL GRADE: 10/10

Comments