Stalker (1979)


Director:
Andrei Tarkovsky
Stars: Aleksandr Kaydanocskiy, Anatoliy Solonitsyn, Nikolay Grinko
Runtime: 162 minutes

Synopsis: A guide leads two men through an area known as the Zone to find a room that grants wishes.


Verdict: After two semi-disappointing experiences with Tarkovsky's work, I was ready to give up trying to get into the Soviet director's filmography. I was ready to admit to myself that his films simply weren't my cup of tea and have my cinephile card revoked in the process. But I couldn't make such a decision without giving his most admired work a shot. So despite it being nearly 3 hours long, I popped in the movie that famously and unfortunately claimed his and a number of its crewmembers their lives with the hopes that it would change my mind about him.
"Stalker" is perhaps one of the most aesthetically pleasing films I have ever seen, that I can assure you. Tarkovsky's craftmanship played a vital role in turning the setting into a character of itself, fully taking part in the journey of our three protagonists: the Stalker, the Professor, and the Writer. All three of them venture into a mysterious area called the Zone with the intention of finding a room that can grant them any wish they desire, making the film a clear inspiration to Alex Garland's acclaimed sci-fi "Annihilation".
While I have to admire the technical aspects of "Stalker", I was unable to attach myself emotionally to its content and themes, making the watch an exhausting one. I can't help but think that my lack of faith is to blame for that detachment considering how clear it was that religion was a central topic in a movie that I thought also dragged more than it needed to. I understand that this was Tarkovsky's intent, and I believe that those who will connect with the film won't find the pacing as tedious as it will allow them to reflect on the film's themes more efficiently, but I found the numerous moments of silence included to add to the disconnect I felt towards it.
"Stalker" may be a cinematic marvel when it comes to its technical elements, but what's the point of it all if I couldn't relate to it in any way? It's yet another case of me appreciating a Tarkovsky project more than loving it, and I think it's safe to assume by now that his work just isn't for me, or at least that I'm not watching them at the right time in my life.

FINAL GRADE: 6/10

Comments