Big Fish (2003)


Director:
Tim Burton
Stars: Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup
Runtime: 125 minutes

Synopsis: A frustrated son tries to determine the fact from fiction in his dying father's life.

Performances: 7/10
Screenplay: 8/10
Editing: 6/10
Cinematography: 9/10
Score/Soundtrack: 9/10
Enjoyment Factor: 8/10

Verdict: I can't remember the last time I watched a Tim Burton movie. Similarly to many fellow cinephiles, I once considered him to be one of my favorite filmmakers working today. I found his unique gothic style to be appealing, and his ability to turn a nightmarish setting into a dreamlike narrative was fascinating to me. In short, his movies were anything but forgettable, something that unfortunately cannot be said about his more recent projects (does anyone remember that a live-action remake of Dumbo came out last year?).
However, there was always something about "Big Fish" that made it uninteresting to me. I don't know if it was the title, the poster, or the fact that it doesn't hold the same status as some of his other work, but I never felt the urge to watch it. But that changed quickly when I shared that fact on one of my stories and was met with many responses telling me to give a try.
And boy am I thankful to each and every one of them because, in many ways, "Big Fish" was the movie I didn't know I needed right now. Objectively, I don't think that it's his best work as it did contain moments that leaned heavily on the cheesy side of the balance, especially in its more romantic parts. The pacing wasn't always great as well, and cutting 10 to 15 minutes out of it would've made it flow in a much more engaging way. But it's its depiction of the importance of fictionalizing reality to make it more exciting and interesting that served as the film's selling point, especially during the extremely difficult times we're experiencing. An emotionally-heavy escape was exactly what I needed, and "Big Fish" delivered that in a remarkable way.
It's also one of Burton's most aesthetically pleasing projects. One that benefits from gorgeous cinematography, beautiful set designs, and yet another timeless score by Danny Elfman. The director made sure that the audience could at the very least immerse itself in the universe he created, something he clearly mastered over the years.
"Big Fish" is one of those movies I loved but don't ever want to revisit purely out of fear of it not holding up on a second watch. It was exactly the movie I needed to watch when I watched it, and I want my memory of it to be associated with that very moment. It's available on Netflix if anyone wishes to escape the horrors of the real world for a couple of hours.

FINAL GRADE: 8/10

Comments