A Clockwork Orange (1971)


Director: Stanley Kubrick
Stars: Malcolm McDowell, Patrick Magee, Michael Bates
Runtime: 136 minutes

Synopsis: In the future, a sadistic gang leader is imprisoned and volunteers for a conduct-aversion experiment, but it doesn't go as planned.

Performances: 9/10
Screenplay: 6/10
Editing: 7/10
Cinematography: 8/10
Score/Soundtrack: 9/10
Enjoyment Factor: 5/10

Verdict: I first heard of "A Clockwork Orange" in high school. The terms "controversial" and "defying" were most associated with it and, being the edgy teenager that I was, I decided to give it a go. The world of Cinema was still new to me, and I was excited to finally experience my very first Kubrick project. 136 minutes later, I was confused and a bit disappointed. "Yes, there's a lot to appreciate about the film but it was overall kind of meh?" was my first reaction. That was about a decade ago, and I have since familiarized myself with both the art of filmmaking and Kubrick's body of work.
A rewatch of the modern classic was obviously in order. I was certain that my first watch didn't do the movie justice and that I'd appreciate it much more today, especially considering how amazed I was by Kubrick's other films. So I poured myself a glass of milk, sat down, and rewatched Alex's story, based on the Anthony Burgess novel, unfold once again... and I still don't understand why "A Clockwork Orange" is considered by many to be one of the American director's most iconic works.
The use of classical compositions, Malcolm McDowell's performance, and the moral and philosophical question it addresses are all things that are undoubtedly worth praising. But what threw me off was the film's messy and manipulative stylistic approach, mostly adopted to turn the vile protagonist into the likable, charming, and humane character needed to solidify the rhetoric at play. The cheap futuristic setting and abundant use of conveniences, especially in the very rushed final act, were also elements I found to be distracting within a narrative that didn't invite me to analyze it further than its surface.
I love Kubrick's work because they're the perfect balance of entertainment and depth, but "A Clockwork Orange" felt like it was more interested in focusing on the former despite the fascinating themes surrounding it. There are still many aspects of it to appreciate, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't disappointed by the final result. 

FINAL GRADE: 6/10

Comments