Synecdoche, New York (2008)


Director: Charlie Kaufman
Stars: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Samantha Morton, Michelle Williams
Runtime: 124 minutes

Synopsis: A theatre director struggles with his work, and the women in his life, as he creates a life-size replica of New York City inside a warehouse as part of his new play.

Performances: 10/10
Screenplay: 10/10
Editing: 10/10
Cinematography: 9/10
Score/Soundtrack: 10/10

Verdict: I've been dreading this day ever since I started writing about films. "Synecdoche, New York" is my favorite movie of all time, and I can't pinpoint exactly why. I don't even know how to put to words the effect it had on me and the reasons I hold it so dear to my heart, and I've always had the feeling that whatever I write about it won't do it the justice it deserves.
Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut is certainly not for everybody, but I still vividly remember the first time I watched it, about three years ago, and thinking to myself that while I didn't fully understand the meaning behind most of it (and still don't), I could say with absolute certainty that I knew what Kaufman was trying to get out of his chest and related to it in the most terrifying of ways. The meaning of life, the absurdity of death, the craziness of love, and everything that comes in between, including but not limited to the role that art plays in them, have always been topics I found fascinating and depressing at the same time. I regularly find myself reflecting on these subjects and "Synecdoche, New York" not only addresses them in the most brutal, honest, and personal way possible but also dissects them to their very core. In it, we follow Caden, a theater director who is obsessed with reality while being completely disconnected from it. Time to him is an illusion. Death almost a relief. The universe he lives in is so absurd that it feels like a dream. A dream he's desperately trying to wake up from, but trying even harder to understand. The dark irony of it all is that he's played by Philip Seymour Hoffman, who met his tragic end only a few years after the release of this film. His performance in the film remains an all-time favorite of mine as he truly captured the essence of what Caden's about. He's almost a caricature living in a caricatural world, but every emotion he shows reminds us that the film's about each and every one of us.
Not long ago, I wrote a post describing what defines a masterpiece to me. The picture I chose to accompany that post was a still from "Synecdoche, New York" because I couldn't think of any other movie that verified the 3Rs rules more appropriately. Reaction? Check. And not only in an emotional way but also in a comedic one as there are more than just a few scenes that were sincerely funny and bizarre. Reflection? Double Check. I haven't stopped thinking about it since my first watch, and with every revisit, I get more out of it. Reality? Triple Check. Not literally per se, but metaphorically. It's one of the most honest, brutal, and raw depictions of ourselves and it's never scared to ask questions even we are afraid to ask. And I love it for that. 

FINAL GRADE: 10/10

Comments