Hamilton (2020)


Director:
Thomas Kail
Stars: Lin-Manuel Miranda, Phillipa Soo, Leslie Odom Jr.
Runtime: 160 minutes

Synopsis: The real life of one of America's foremost founding fathers and first Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton. Captured live on Broadway from the Richard Rodgers Theater with the original Broadway cast.

Verdict: My knowledge of on-stage musicals not being as developed as I want it to be, I'm not entirely sure how to approach this review of what is perhaps one of the biggest cultural phenomenons of the current century. Unless you've been living under a rock (or away from social media), odds are that you've heard of Lin-Manuel Miranda's "Hamilton" and at least listened to a couple of songs featured in it. I personally never was a theater guy, and have probably only seen a couple of plays, both musicals, in my entire life ("Les Misérables" and  "Notre-Dame de Paris"). I'm not even sure how to approach it from a critical point of view, but I feel the need to talk about it because BOY does it deserve the acclaim it generated.
I consider myself a history buff but "Hamilton" is easily one of the favorite lessons I've ever sat through and definitely one of the most uniquely told. The life of one of the Founding Fathers is told using a phenomenal soundtrack that brings modernism and a culture that didn't even exist a couple of centuries ago, making the experience a vibrant one that goes by in a heartbeat. The writing is superb, the singing is top-notch, and the choreography is pitch-perfect, using the stage's props to the fullest of extends. It never feels overcrowded despite featuring several historical figures, and it never feels underdeveloped, which in itself is a testimony of Miranda's genius. There were a few stand-outs (Daveed Diggs, Anthony Ramos, Leslie Odom Jr., Phillipa Soo, and Lin-Manuel Miranda of course), but every single performer, including Jonathan Groff's hilarious take on King George III, was breathtaking.
This is possibly the first legitimate reason I can think of to get a Disney Plus subscription. I already know that I'll be spending the next few days (possibly weeks?) listening to that soundtrack on repeat. History fan or not, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't check out this musical as soon as possible. It's the best thing to come out this year so far.

FINAL GRADE: 9/10

Comments