First Cow (2019)


Director:
Kelly Reichardt
Stars: John Magaro, Alia Shawkat, Rene Auberjonois
Runtime: 122 minutes

Synopsis: A skilled cook has traveled west and joined a group of fur trappers in Oregon, though he only finds true connection with a Chinese immigrant also seeking his fortune. Soon the two collaborate on a successful business.

Performances: 7/10
Screenplay: 4/10
Editing: 4/10
Cinematography: 6/10
Score/Soundtrack: 6/10

Verdict: A24's latest release was a rare miss for me. "First Cow", despite being praised by critics as its 96% Rotten Tomato score suggests, was a chore to get through.
Taking place a couple of centuries ago in Oregon, the film follows a cook known as Cookie as he befriends an Eastern immigrant and starts a successful milk-based business with him. Technically, I can't call any of it bad as it does feature a very modest atmosphere and performances that did the job. The cinematography, while not being jaw-dropping, did match the film's fairly well. But that's exactly what was wrong with the movie for me. Nothing about it stood out. I wasn't invested in the least with either the characters or the narrative. It was safe filmmaking at its finest and as a result, the movie cruelly lacked spice and came off as one-note and dull. The two-hour runtime also added pacing issues with an adaptation that could've been about half an hour shorter.
There's not much else to be said about "First Cow" as I came out of it with a feeling of disappointment and sorrow above anything else. I can't say that I was emotionally invested in any aspect of it and ended up glancing at my watch more than my screen (figuratively, of course). Personally, I wouldn't make it a priority but if the trailer seems appealing to you then you might enjoy it more than I did.

FINAL GRADE: 4/10

Comments