Moonlight (2016)


Director:
Barry Jenkins
Stars: Mahershala Ali, Naomie Harris, Trevante Rhodes
Runtime: 111 minutes

Synopsis: A young African-American man grapples with his identity and sexuality while experiencing the everyday struggles of childhood, adolescence, and burgeoning adulthood.

Performances: 10/10
Screenplay: 9/10
Editing: 9/10
Cinematography: 9/10
Score/Soundtrack: 10/10

Verdict: February 27th, around 6AM. I still remember that date like it was yesterday. I was sleepy, tired as I stayed up all night to watch the Oscars, but it was worth it. "La La Land", my favorite movie of 2016, won the big award and I couldn't be happier. That is until the plot twist of the century was revealed. "There's a mistake. Moonlight, you guys won Best Picture" announced Jordan Horowitz to a very confused room. And I couldn't help but crack a smile because deep down, I knew that this was the movie that deserved the win most.
And today, as millions of people are marching the streets to demand equality for all, and as Pride Month is celebrated all over the world, I cannot think of a more relevant movie to watch. What Barry Jenkins crafted in "Moonlight" is something that very few filmmakers can achieve. In fact, the term filmmaker doesn't quite apply to his role as I believe that the terms poet and orchestra conductor better fit his position. The film is a symphony driven by visual storytelling, emotions, and character growth. It came straight from Jenkins' heart to our screens, and that's what makes it such a moving watch told in 3 chapters, each following a different stage of Chiron's difficult and repressed life as he attempts to figure out his place in the world as a young, Black, Gay, and most of all confused individual.
By "bringing the art house to the hood", as he described it in an interview, Jenkins not only gave the film a very unique atmosphere as this is not the usual approach taken by filmmakers dealing with similar entourages, but it also allowed the audience to take part in it, and as a result, truly connect with every character, whether big or small.
The more I rewatch it, the more I learn to appreciate "Moonlight", and the more convinced I become that it will be remembered as one of the most impactful and relevant films of our times. If you haven't seen it, make it a priority.

FINAL GRADE: 9/10

Comments