Scoob! (2020)


Director:
Tony Cervone
Stars: Will Forte, Mark Wahlberg, Jason Isaacs
Runtime: 94 minutes

Synopsis: Scooby and the gang face their most challenging mystery ever: a plot to unleash the ghost dog Cerberus upon the world. As they race to stop this dogpocalypse, the gang discovers that Scooby has an epic destiny greater than anyone imagined.

Animation: 5/10
Performances: 5/10
Screenplay: 3/10
Editing: 6/10
Score/Soundtrack: 4/10
Entertainment Factor: 3/10

Verdict: Like many kids that were born in the 1990s, I grew up with the animated Scooby-Doo series. And even today, I wouldn't mind revisiting a few episodes as I find the chemistry between the members of the Mystery Inc. charming and at the very least entertaining.
I'm not going to lie, I was excited to see "Scoob!", the latest attempt from Warner Bros. animation department to bring a beloved show to the big screen (well, that was the plan anyway) as I thought that it would cater to original fans of the show since, to my knowledge, the franchise isn't very popular with today's generation of kids. But to my utmost disappointment, it didn't. It was a lazy adaptation aimed at keeping children laughing at a talking dog for an hour and a half that is filled with pop culture references to keep the parents somewhat awake. Despite containing characters from "Wacky Races", it didn't provide an ounce of the heart that made these shows so special in the first place, and just feels soulless and empty, even removing the mystery aspect of the story to replace it with the latest trend nowadays, superheroes.
Honestly, the highlight of the film for me was finding out that Shaggy was a Potterhead (a scene ruined by his disliking of Slytherins, though). Other than that small detail, it truly failed to keep me interested. All of it, animation style included, was dull, predictable, and worse of all, lazy.


FINAL GRADE: 3/10

Comments