Ema (2019)


Director: 
Pablo Larraín
Stars: Mariana Di GirolamoGael García BernalSantiago Cabrera
Runtime: 107 minutes

Synopsis: A couple deals with the aftermath of an adoption that goes awry as their household falls apart.

Performances: 8/10
Screenplay: 4/10
Editing: 6/10
Cinematography: 8/10
Score/Soundtrack: 7/10

Verdict: Pablo Larraín's "Ema" has been met with critical acclaim. Originally intended to get a wide theatrical release, the film instead was made available to the public through VOD due to the sanitary crisis that has abruptly closed cinemas around the world. And that's truly a shame because even though I couldn't connect to it as much as most people did, I would've loved to experience it on a larger screen as it can at least pride itself in its aesthetic and soundtrack.
"Ema" follows a young mother's struggle to deal with the loss of her adopted child, which in turn resulted in growing tensions with her husband. And while on paper it very much sounds like a character study I'd be interested in, I honestly couldn't get into the narrative at all. I don't know if it was the film's odd structure or lack of depth that resulted in my disinterest in the events taking place, but the outcome wasn't one to which I felt the attachment I felt in other movies dealing with similar themes. My relationship to "Ema" ultimately came down to a battle between objectivity and subjectivity because even though it didn't hit me personally, I cannot deny the gorgeous aesthetic of some of the shots, magnificent performance by Mariana Di Girolamo or even the upbeat soundtrack and well-choreographed dances that came with it. It was well made, there's no question about that, and I definitely would've loved experience all these elements on the big screen and definitely will if I get the chance.
Despite my issues with it, it's still difficult for me not to recommend "Ema". It didn't resonate with me, but based on its reception it's clear that I'm in the minority here. It's a film I don't see sticking with me in the long run, but one that nevertheless managed to visually impress me more than once.

FINAL GRADE: 5/10

Comments