Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)


Director: Steven Spielberg
Stars: Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, Paul Freeman
Runtime: 115 minutes

Synopsis: In 1936, archaeologist and adventurer Indiana Jones is hired by the U.S. government to find the Ark of the Covenant before Adolf Hitler's Nazis can obtain its awesome powers.

Performances: 8/10
Screenplay: 7/10
Editing: 7/10
Cinematography: 8/10
Score/Soundtrack: 9/10
Entertainment Factor: 7/10

Verdict: Growing up, I used to idolize the character of Indiana Jones. The original trilogy most certainly belongs on the list of movies I've watched most times, and I'll always feel nostalgic towards it. I was initially planning on revisiting the franchise just before the 5th installment was due to come out, but since I don't see it getting any sort of release any time soon, I decided to break the pact I made with myself and for the first time in years, witnessed Indy fight off Nazis in search of the Ark of the Covenant.
Right off the bat, "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is an action flick released in the early 1980s. So you're bound to expect a few clichés because, in a way, that's when they originated. And yes, some lines and scenes didn't age as well as some others, but the tone is what gives it its charm. It's very self-aware of what it is but never overdoes it in terms of plot execution, quite the opposite. It makes you laugh, but it also makes you care about the adventure and most of all, the characters. Indiana Jones is iconic for a reason. He's cool, he's charming, he's badass but most of all, he's vulnerable. He's no superhero and has taken more than the one beating, which makes him easy to root for. His pairing with the equally badass Marion, played by Karen Allen, as well as Spielberg's direction and Williams' eternal score, makes the journey an even more exciting one despite the cheesiness that englobes it.
"Raiders of the Lost Ark" doesn't quite hold up as much as I was expecting it to but it still provides a fun and nostalgic adventure that's infinitely rewatchable. It contains a multitude of iconic scenes that will surely make you cheer out of excitement, but I can totally see some people getting turned off by a formula that's been recycled so many times over the years. As for myself, I've already mentioned that the franchise holds a special place in my heart, and it's more than likely that I'll revisit this classic at some point in the future.

FINAL GRADE: 7/10

Comments