The Way Back (2020)


Director: Gavin O'Connor
Stars: Ben AffleckJanina GavankarMichaela Watkins
Runtime: 108 minutes

Synopsis: Jack Cunningham was a HS basketball phenom who walked away from the game, forfeiting his future. Years later, when he reluctantly accepts a coaching job at his alma mater, he may get one last shot at redemption.

Performances: 7/10
Screenplay: 5/10
Editing: 6/10
Cinematography: 5/10
Score/Soundtrack: 7/10

Verdict: I'm not the biggest fan of Gavin O'Connor's work. I wouldn't describe any of the movies I've seen from him as bad, but none of them really stuck with me, even the ones I actually enjoyed such as "Warrior".
In his newest project, Ben Affleck's character is a jobless mess who has succumbed to alcoholism after his separation from his wife. He has hit an all time low, but is given a second chance at redemption when offered a modest job as coach of a Basketball high school team.
"The Way Back" is filled with clichés we've seen many, many times in the past in both dramas and sport movies alike. I never got the feeling that I was watching something new, original, or even special, but damn it, it really got to me and that is all that counts when watching movies like this. You can't help but feel bad and root for Ben Affleck's Jack Cunningham, a man who's lost it all without ever really properly dealing with the issues that ruined his life, and it's that feeling that holds the plot together.
"The Way Back" is probably doomed to be forgotten with time due to its unoriginal and at times repetitive nature, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't touched by it. Watching it felt more like a therapy session than an actual cinematic experience, so if you're looking for something like that, I do recommend giving it a try.

FINAL GRADE: 6/10

Comments