Frozen II (2019)


Director: Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee
Stars: Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Josh Gad
Runtime: 103 minutes

Synopsis: Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven leave Arendelle to travel to an ancient, autumn-bound forest of an enchanted land. They set out to find the origin of Elsa's powers in order to save their kingdom.

Animation: 10/10
Screenplay: 4/10
Editing: 6/10
Score/Soundtrack: 7/10

Verdict: I'll be honest, I was actually looking forward to the sequel of the 2013 hit that took the world by storm. Not necessarily because I'm a fan of the movie, which I think is fine without being spectacular, but rather because of how beautiful the trailers looked. However, and since I'd rather be locked in a cage for a week than have to sit in a theater filled with energetic children high on sugar for 2 hours, I decided to wait for its digital release to check it out.
As a 24-year-old man who isn't the biggest fan of the Disney formula, I clearly am not part of the targeted demographic to which "Frozen 2" was aiming for. So it shouldn't come as a surprise when I say that my biggest issue with the movie was its story. Nothing about it was really appealing to me. The jokes were cringe-worthy, Olaf was incredibly annoying, and the narrative doesn't really offer anything memorable and relies way too much on the fact that water has... memory? I never quite checked out of it,  but I also never was invested in any aspect of it despite a more mature tone than the original. As for the music, I thought that there were some hits and some misses, but it was for the most part very well handled with a nice score and a couple of catchy songs. But whatever the film lacked in terms of storytelling, it made up for it through its absolutely gorgeous work in the animation department. I haven't seen an animated film so beautiful to look at in quite a while, maybe since "Into the Spiderverse". From the colors to the composition and attention to details in every shot, the animation made the watch worth it for me and truly elevated the film from a visual point of view.
So even if like me films like "Frozen 2" don't necessarily appeal to you on a narrative level, I still recommend watching it for its technical achievements alone. Despite its flaws, it's probably my favorite 2019 release by Disney, which I know is not saying much, but hey, it's still something.

FINAL GRADE: 5/10

Comments