First Love (2019)


Director: Takashi Miike
Stars: Masataka Kubota, Sakurako Konishi, Shôta Sometani
Runtime: 108 minutes

Synopsis: A young boxer and a call girl get caught up in a drug-smuggling scheme over the course of one night in Tokyo.

Performances: 7/10
Screenplay: 6/10
Editing: 6/10
Cinematography: 8/10
Score/Soundtrack: 7/10

Verdict: The only Takashi Miike film I've ever seen is "Audition", which is considered by many to be one of the most disturbing movies of all time. "First Love", while still having elements of gore and violence, sets itself apart from it by having an entirely different tone.
The film follows a boxer as he becomes entangled in a shady drug-smuggling scheme that involves a young girl, whose life he coincidentally saves in the streets of Tokyo. Then follows a night of murder, revenge, over the top fight scenes and car chases that will leave our protagonists on the run for their lives. While being beautifully shot, carefully choreographed, and obviously self-aware, I would be lying if I said that I wasn't as interested with what was going on as much as I probably was supposed to be. None of it really appealed to me, and I often found myself wondering what was offered by the  that hasn't already been offered in countless other gangster films. Despite Miike's stylistic presence and a gallery of fun characters, I was taken out by the film's at times laborious pacing and crying lack of intrigue.
I'm not entirely sure if my lack of awareness as to the tone utilized in "First Love" led to me expecting an entirely different movie, but Miike's latest directorial effort, while technically brilliant, didn't really stick with me. It's a film I can easily see myself enjoying more on a second watch, but for now, all I can say with certainty is that the narrative felt familiar despite it maybe being guided by Tarantino's work and not taking itself as seriously as the movies it drew inspiration from.

FINAL GRADE: 6/10

Comments