Emma. (2020)


Director: Autumn de Wilde
Stars: Anya Taylor-Joy, Mia Goth, Bill Nighy
Runtime: 124 minutes

Synopsis: In 1800s England, a well-meaning but selfish young woman meddles in the love lives of her friends.

Performances: 7/10
Screenplay: 5/10
Editing: 5/10
Cinematography: 8/10
Score/Soundtrack: 6/10

Verdict: "Emma" is not the first adaptation of the famous Jane Austen novel, but it is my personal introduction to it. I've never read the book, nor watched any movies based on it, of which 1995's "Clueless" is possibly the most known out of all of them. It also is one of the three movies made available by Universal on streaming services due to the closure of theaters around the world as a precaution taken to battle the Coronavirus pandemic (with the other two being "The Hunt" and "The Invisible Man").
This adaptation's most impressive feature was by far its aesthetic. The production design, costume design, color palette, and even cinematography all truly made the movie look authentic and quite frankly, beautiful to look at. The performances were also decent in general, with Anya Taylor-Joy as the lead and Mia Goth, who was refreshingly stepping out of her comfort zone, as her companion Harriet delivered the most interesting ones. It's, however, the film's narrative and pacing that didn't entirely work for me. Period piece romances are not my thing, and this one failed to grab my attention despite adopting a more quirky and comedic tone that in my opinion grew old and tiresome very quickly. The movie's score is another feature of it that stands out but I found it to be a little too overbearing and overwhelming.
"Emma" is not a bad movie by any means and even acts as a solid debut for director Autumn de Wilde, who I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on, but it just wasn't my thing. Despite being gorgeous to look at, I couldn't personally get into the narrative at all. But if you're generally a fan of period pieces, I do recommend checking this one out as it does have a personality of its own.

FINAL GRADE: 5/10

Comments