Creep 2 (2017)


Director: Patrick Brice
Stars: Mark Duplass, Desiree Akhavan, Karan Soni
Runtime: 78 minutes

Synopsis: A video artist looking for work drives to a remote house in the forest to meet a man claiming to be a serial killer. But after agreeing to spend the day with him, she soon realizes that she made a deadly mistake.

Performances: 7/10
Editing: 6/10
Entertainment Factor: 5/10

Verdict: The sequel to the 2014 sensation starring the always excellent Mark Duplass as a creepy serial killer did something that very few other movies managed to achieved, and that is score a perfect 100% on the TomatoMeter (although with only 23 reviews to its name). Now do I think that it's deserving of that honor? No, not really. But as a someone who had loads of fun with the first "Creep", I'd definitely consider this one to be a worthy sequel.
While I wasn't as charmed by the narrative and atmosphere as I was with its predecessor, the movie still managed to squeeze plenty of awkward moments that were hilarious to witness. The opening 10 minutes or so almost felt like a parody of a found footage horror flick, and were the highlight of the film for me. The presentation as a found footage video was one of my main issues with the first movie as it felt really forced and not at all genuine, but I thought that despite still not completely nailing it, the sequel did improve on that aspect and it felt much more justified.
The issue I had with "Creep 2" was in its more mature approach. The silly jumpscares (with sound effects might I add) are unfortunately still there, but the tone was a much less over-the-top one, especially after the two main characters get to interact for the first time.
"Creep 2", much like its predecessor, is far from being a horror masterpiece but makes for an overall fun watch, no more, no less. I personally enjoyed the sillier approach of the first one a bit more, but I still was pleasantly surprised by its ability to entertain without being heavy. Enough to make me excited about the third and (supposedly) final entry in the pre-planned trilogy? You betcha!

FINAL GRADE: 5/10

Comments