Apocalypto (2006)


Director: Mel Gibson
Stars: Gerardo Taracena, Raoul Max Trujillo, Dalia Hernández
Runtime: 139 minutes

Synopsis: As the Mayan kingdom faces its decline, a young man is taken on a perilous journey to a world ruled by fear and oppression.

Performances: 6/10
Screenplay: 5/10
Editing: 4/10
Cinematography: 7/10
Score/Soundtrack: 6/10

Verdict: This is it, folks. The movie that scarred me as a kid. I was only about 11 years old when I watched Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto" in theaters, and I remember being horrified from the very first scene in which a group of Mayan hunters dissect an animal they freshly captured and devour its organs raw. Things only get worse as the movie progresses, but something about it kept me hooked despite the gruesome imagery. I may have not slept well in the following days, but I was at the very least fascinated by that movie.
Being available on Netflix, I decided to give it a rewatch since I haven't seen it in a decade or so. And while I still very much appreciate the production behind it, which pretty effectively captures the ways of living of the now-defunct civilization, the movie itself did not hold up well in my eyes. The poorly written (or poorly transcribed since it's in authentic Yucatec Mayan) dialogue and the many, many conveniences in the narrative made it difficult to take any of it as seriously as the tone suggested. The editing also suffered from many cheesy decisions, especially in regard to the use of slow-motion that I never felt was entirely justified.
Thankfully, and while still not as good as it could've been, the film's second half, which becomes more of a survival story with an emphasis on the fight between man and nature, is much more interesting than the first. But overall I can't say that I was wowed by the quality of a movie that should've worked better. It's frustrating to see such good production wasted on a script that feels so Hollywoodian in the worst ways possible.

FINAL GRADE: 5/10

Comments