Shadow (2018)


Director: Yimou Zhang
Stars: Chao Deng, Li Sun, Ryan Zheng
Runtime:  116 minutes

Synopsis: Life and intrigue in an ancient Chinese court.

Performances: 6/10
Screenplay: 5/10
Editing: 6/10
Cinematography: 7/10
Score/Soundtrack: 6/10

Verdict: "Shadow" is a period piece that took the world by storm a couple of years ago and, oddly enough, acts as my introduction to Chinese Cinema. The synopsis is a rather complicated one that requires more than one sentence to properly flesh out, so I'll just say that it follows a man trained to be the shadow of a famous commander who must avenge his master's defeat in battle and regain a city lost to his kingdom.
Now there's quite a bit to admire about the film which in my opinion has one of the most beautiful posters I've seen in a while. The production design and grayish color palette adopted, which together built an atmosphere of angst and dread, are the two main elements that come to mind. The story itself on paper was also an aspect of the film that I found interesting and intriguing, but it was its delivery that left me a little dissatisfied with the overall experience. The movie felt like both a low budget and high budget project at the same time. It was both an epic and an intimate drama simultaneously and I can't really say that the marriage between the two worked well for me. The tone of the film was also an element of it I didn't think was handled properly. The cinematography made it clear that the filmmakers were going for a very serious and grounded mood, but the dialogue, characters, and fight choreography all alluded to a more over-the-top approach. There were also a few conveniences that were difficult to buy in the film's narrative, which I thought was a shame considering the potential of the story told and the very interesting culture it's based on.
I can't say that I was wowed by "Shadow", but I certainly don't regret watching it. I'm already looking forward to delving deeper into the vaults of Chinese Cinema as I'm certain that I'll find quite a bit of gems in it.

FINAL GRADE: 5/10

Comments