Pain and Glory (2019)


Director: Pedro Almodóvar
Stars: Antonio Banderas, Asier Etxeandia, Leonardo Sbaraglia
Runtime: 113 minutes

Synopsis: A film director reflects on the choices he's made as past and present come crashing down around him.

Performances: 10/10
Screenplay: 8/10
Costumes/Makeup: 7/10
Editing: 9/10
Cinematography: 8/10
Score/Soundtrack: 8/10

Verdict: Pedro Almodóvar is one of today's most respected directors and I'm ashamed to say that I'm not very familiar with his work. This is a crime I'm most certainly going to fix as soon as possible, especially after watching "Pain and Glory", a semi-autobiographical film starring Antonio Banderas as a fictional dramatization of the director himself.
The Spanish actor's performance is easily one of the best of the year, and his Oscar nomination (a first for him) for that role is entirely justified. He mentions at one point in the movie that he prefers actors who hold back their emotions rather than show them, and that's exactly what he does. The subtlety of his performance is what makes it incredibly nuanced and emotionally heavy. Banderas aside, every other performance was excellent, with Penélope Cruz and Asier Etxeandia leading the way of supporting roles. But what really made me feel connected to the movie is its very intimate approach to the main character's life. When the credits started rolling, I truly felt like I knew and understood Almodóvar, from the struggles he faced to the role of art in his life. The film felt more like a confession than a character study, and that's what I liked most about it. I also loved how he utilized flashbacks in a way that added so much to the themes of the movie. On a technical level, the use of colors was mesmerizing and the score by Alberto Iglesias injected so much emotion to every scene it was featured in.
I feel like I would've appreciated "Pain and Glory" even more had I been more familiar with Almodóvar's filmography. Aside from a few lines that felt out of place and a couple of conveniences I had a difficult time buying, it's definitely the most intimate movie of the year and I absolutely loved it.

FINAL GRADE: 8/10

Comments