On My Skin: The Last Seven Days of Stefano Cucchi (2018)


Director: Alessio Cremonini
Stars: Alessandro Borghi, Massimiliano Tortora, Milvia Marigliano
Runtime: 100 minutes

Synopsis: The incredible true story behind the most controversial Italian court cases in recent years. Stefano Cucchi was arrested for a minor crime but in just one week's time, a family is changed forever.

Performances: 8/10
Screenplay: 7/10
Editing: 6/10
Cinematography: 7/10
Score/Soundtrack: 6/10

Verdict: One thing I love about Netflix is the fact that you can randomly stumble upon hidden gems no one's even heard off before. "On My Skin" appeared on my home page under the Recommended for You section. I clicked on it out of curiosity and saw that it was a 98% match with my taste. So I gave it a shot. And I do not regret it for a second.
The movie is based on the true story of Stefano Cucchi, a young Italian man convicted for a minor crime which led him to a highly controversial week in prison. Filmmaker Alessio Cremonini does a pretty great job capturing how these seven days seemed much longer for both the inmate and his family, Alessandro Borghi's take on Stefano is also one that shouldn't come unnoticed as the pain and injustice endured by his character were truly felt through his performance. From a filmmaking standpoint, nothing really stood out but nothing also felt out of place.
"On My Skin" deserves much more attention than it received. Much, much more. It's a devastating true story that will stick with you for a long time, and while it certainly can be qualified as a depressing watch, I also found it to be a necessary one.

FINAL GRADE: 7/10

Comments