Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)


Director: J.J. Abrams
Stars: Carrie Fisher, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver
Runtime: 141 minutes

Synopsis: The surviving Resistance faces the First Order once more in the final chapter of the Skywalker saga.

Performances: 6/10
Screenplay: 4/10
Special Effects: 8/10
Costumes/Makeup: 7/10
Editing: 5/10
Cinematography: 6/10
Score/Soundtrack: 7/10
Entertainment Factor: 6/10

Verdict: Another year, another controversial Star Wars film. Some people loved the conclusion of the Skywalker saga while others are considering it to be one of the worst entries in the franchise. And to be quite honest, I sort of understand both sides and, similarly to "The Last Jedi", fall somewhere in the middle.
Now it's important to mention that I am not the biggest Star Wars fan, but have seen every theatrically released film at least once. I don't consider myself an expert of the universe by any means, and haven't even rewatched any of the franchise's previously released movies in preparation for this one. With that out of the way, I found "The Rise of Skywalker" to be extremely cheesy, filled with conveniences (both in its narrative and use of The Force), and packed with dumb moments that made no sense whatsoever. But then again, all these issues can be found in every Star Wars movie in existence and is almost part of its DNA at this point. And like most Star Wars movies, it also gave us heartwarming moments and fun action sequences as well as breathtaking visuals enhanced by John Williams' timeless score. And while this made the watch a relatively fun one, it also was the main reason why I felt like I was watching just another Star Wars film instead of the epilogue of a 9 episode saga. I expected the emotional punch to be stronger and the main character arcs to be closed in a more satisfying manner. There's also quite a bit of fan service in the movie, and while a number of them were pointless, most were introduced in an organic way that didn't take me out of the movie at all.
"The Rise of Skywalker", overall, is an okay Star Wars film but an underwhelming finale to the saga, which is why I understand why some people enjoyed it while others didn't. But as someone who went in looking for a fun movie rather than satisfying ending, I can't say that I was disappointed despite the obvious flaws the film contains.

FINAL GRADE: 5/10

Comments