I Lost My Body (2019)


Director: Jérémy Clapin
Stars: Hakim Faris, Victoire Du Bois, Patrick d'Assumçao
Runtime: 81 minutes

Synopsis: A story of Naoufel, a young man who is in love with Gabrielle. In another part of town, a severed hand escapes from a dissection lab, determined to find its body again.

Animation: 8/10
Performances: 7/10
Screenplay: 8/10
Editing: 9/10
Score/Soundtrack: 9/10

Verdict: The film opens on the site of an accident in which Naoufel, a young French adolescent, is lying on the group with his severed hand next to him. That same hand reappears a few seconds later,  this time in a dissection lab, as it magically becomes sentient and on a mission to find its owner.
The concept may sound odd, but throughout the gorgeously animated journey, the disembodies hand remembers key events in the life of its young holder. And that is what constitutes the heart of "I Lost My Body", now available around the world on Netflix. Calling the film an exceptionally human tale is an understatement, because for the longest of times I was completely transfixed by it. Every character feels real and the story they go through, despite slightly falling into cheese territory in the film's second act, is filled with heart and heartbreak. I forgot that I was watching an animated feature, and all I could see were emotions spilling from my screen. The mesmerizing score by Dan Levy deserves recognition as well as it both heavily contributed to the emotional impact the movie had on me and played a key role in setting up its tone and atmosphere.
Netflix's run of great films continues with what I consider to be the best animated movie of the entire year. Jérémy Clapin's directorial debut is definitely an encouraging one that I cannot recommend enough.

FINAL GRADE: 8/10

Comments