Tall Girl (2019)


Director: Nzingha Stewart
Stars: Ava Michelle, Sabrina Carpenter, Angela Kinsey
Runtime: 101 minutes

Synopsis: Jodi, the tallest girl in her high school, has always felt uncomfortable in her own skin. But after years of slouching, being made fun of, and avoiding attention at all costs, Jodi finally decides to find the confidence to stand tall.

Performances: 2/5
Screenplay: 1/5
Editing: 2/5
Cinematography: 3/5
Score/Soundtrack: 2/5

Verdict: I don't know what evil entity made me watch this new Netflix original. When I saw the trailer for "Tall Girl", I found the premise so ridiculous that I just had to give it a watch. And boy do I regret it.
The film follows Jodi, a high school outcast whose constantly being made fun of and bullied because she's... 6'1 (or 185 cm long). Now not only have I never seen or heard of a woman being harassed for being a little above the average height, but the film treats her struggle as the punchline of more than one joke, which completely contradicts the message it was going for. Her height was exaggerated beyond measure, making her look like Hagrid's own daughter at times, and the only thing this movie will achieve in my opinion is making actual tall girls self conscious about their height, a problem they probably never faced before. But all this was just an excuse to make one of the cringiest teen romances I have ever seen, in which the one-dimensional protagonists and the high school setting felt like it was written by middle aged people who watched a couple of episodes of "Glee" in preparation. I couldn't stand any aspect of it, and can safely say that "Tall Girl" is one of the worst movies I have seen this year.

FINAL GRADE: 2/10

Comments