Midsommar (2019)


Director: Ari Aster
Stars: Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, Vilhelm Blomgren
Runtime: 147 minutes

Synopsis: A couple travels to Sweden to visit a rural hometown's fabled mid-summer festival. What begins as an idyllic retreat quickly devolves into an increasingly violent and bizarre competition at the hands of a pagan cult.

Performances: 5/5
Screenplay: 5/5
Special Effects: 3/5
Costumes/Makeup: 5/5
Editing: 4/5
Cinematography: 5/5
Score/Soundtrack: 4/5

Verdict: I am lost for words. I don't know where to even begin with that review. What I do know for sure though is that Ari Aster has now definitely proved himself to be a master at what he does. Following "Hereditary" with something like "Midsommar" is nothing short of a monumental achievement, especially considering the short time gap between the two releases.
The film itself was my most anticipated of the year, but to my utter dismay, I had to skip its theatrical release as it was heavily censored in the country I live in. And as much as that pained me at the time, I'm thankful now that I made that decision, because removing any scene from what is without a doubt one of the better crafted horror films of the century should be considered a crime. The colorful and smartly composed shots and the incredibly dynamic camera movement play a crucial role in both building up the unnerving atmosphere as well as making the theme of isolation stand out. Speaking of stand outs, Florence Pugh is an absolute revelation in the film as her poignant, vastly ranged performance is one that will be remembered for decades to come. The actress has a bright future ahead of her and I'm already excited to see it unfold.
However, what truly made the experience of watching "Midsommar" such a terrifying one was Aster's ability to translate the emotions felt by the characters through the screen. For 2 and a half hours, I was in Sweden, taking part in these disturbing festivities. Everything felt so incredibly real that I had to take a moment as soon as the credits started rolling to collect myself. The dynamic between the characters also helped a lot in making it seem genuine.
"Midsommar" is easily my favorite film of the year so far and the first I'm positive will have a place in my "Best of the year" list. It's disturbing, creepy and shocking, but most importantly it's a masterfully crafted horror film I cannot wait to rewatch.

FINAL GRADE: 9/10

Comments