Murder Mystery (2019)


Director: Kyle Newacheck
Stars: Adam Sandler, Jennifer Aniston, Luke Evans
Runtime: 97 minutes

Synopsis: A New York cop and his wife go on a European vacation to reinvigorate the spark in their marriage, but end up getting framed and on the run for the death of an elderly billionaire.

Performances: 3/5
Screenplay: 2/5
Editing: 3/5
Cinematography: 3/5
Score/Soundtrack: 3/5
Entertainment Factor: 4/5

Verdict: I'm a sucker for whodunit movies, but I generally try to stay away from Adam Sandler's work as I find his comedies painfully unfunny. I decided to put on Netflix's "Murder Mystery" at the end of a tiring day where I just wanted to kick back, turn off my brain, and have fun with a silly movie... And the mystery-comedy checked all these boxes pretty efficiently.
I could spend an entire day dissecting everything wrong with the film. I mean, a lot of character decisions or plot elements don't make sense, the setting and punchline of many of the jokes feel forced, the acting is not great, the story is dumb... But the tone of the movie makes it clear very quickly that the narrative is not meant to be taken seriously, which lead to it being a light, fun watch I definitely had a good time with.
If you're ever in the mood to put on a movie that doesn't require a lot of brainpower to enjoy, then I'd strangely recommend "Murder Mystery". I thought it was an enjoyable ride that rewards anyone aware of what they're signing up for.

FINAL GRADE: 5.5/10

Comments