Enter the Void (2009)


Director: Gaspar Noé
Stars: Nathaniel Brown, Paz de la Huerta, Cyril Roy
Runtime: 161 minutes

Synopsis: A French drug dealer living in Tokyo is betrayed by his best friend and killed in a drug deal. His soul, observing the repercussions of his death, seeks resurrection.

Performances: 8/10
Screenplay: 8/10
Editing: 10/10
Cinematography: 10/10
Score/Soundtrack: 9/10

Verdict: This movie had been sitting on the top of my watchlist for God knows how long, and boy am I glad I finally got round to experiencing it.
I say experience because "Enter the Void" is not just a movie, it's a journey. Describing its plot would almost take away from the film's extremely ambitious spiritual concept. A concept only provocateur french filmmaker Gaspar Noé could come up with and pull off like he did.
Noé truly outdid himself by capturing a very fitting psychedelic atmosphere through the film's masterful cinematography and editing, making the audience literally experience the movie through the eyes of Oscar, a French drug dealer living in Tokyo who runs into some unwelcome trouble while completing a deal.
Apart from a few nitpicks, mostly related to some, in my opinion, unnecessary foreshadowings, I absolutely loved every second of my visit to the Void, which lasted almost 3 hours. It was an intense, emotional, heavy experience that transcended every aspect of traditional storytelling and that will certainly stick with me for a very, very long time.   

FINAL GRADE: 9/10

Comments