Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018)


Director: Morgan Neville
Runtime: 94 minutes

Synopsis: A look at the life of TV personality Fred Rogers. 

Verdict: Having never watched an episode of "Mister Roger's Neighborhood", I wasn't really sure what to expect from a documentary centered around that show, or if I was even part of its targetted audience. I got my answer as soon as the film started. Sure, Fred Rogers, a fascinating character famous for creating one of the most influential children programs ever, is the main focus of "Won't You Be My Neighbor?", but the message it tried to communicate to the audience is about much deeper subjects (a bit like Rogers' acclaimed show, come to think of it). The importance of role models, the use of TV programs as a way of delivering messages, and the significance of kindness and acceptance are only some of the themes tackled through this hour and a half documentary that will leave you with tears in your eyes, a smile on your face, and a restored faith in humanity. "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" is more than just a biopic, and I highly recommend checking it out.

Final Grade: 8/10

Comments