The Last Sharknado: It's About Time (2018)


Director: Anthony C. Ferrante
Stars: Ian Ziering, Tara Reid, Cassandra Scerbo
Runtime: 86 minutes

Synopsis: Fin and the gang must go back in time to stop the first sharknado in order to save humanity.

  • Performances: 7/10
Why? Because they're purposely terrible. Every single actor knew exactly the type of movie they were in, and didn't hold back on the ridiculous deliveries and over the top acting. There were also a couple of casting surprises that I won't spoil I thought were perfect.  
  • Screenplay: 6/10
Why? The Sharknado franchise is one I've been a fan of since the very beginning. It's probably the best self-aware "so bad it's good" series ever done. And I'm so glad they ended it with a bang. The sixth entry's concept is more ridiculous than ever and involves the group going back in time to fight off sharknados in different periods in time. If that sounds awesome to you, you'll probably enjoy it. If you're wondering how drunk I am while writing this review, I'd suggest skipping it. My only issues with it were the fact that it did get a bit repetitive and maybe too ridiculous at times. I also felt that there was a lot going on in the final act, which kind of took me out of the film for a little while. But overall I had a blast watching "The Last Sharknado". 
  • Special Effects: 8/10
Why? They were terrible, but they're undeniably one of the main reason the franchise is so popular.
  • Costumes/Makeup: 7/10
Why? In a movie centered around time traveling to different time periods, designing the characters' costumes to reflect the times they are in all the while keeping the whole B-movie atmosphere is no easy task. And while I felt that it was at times slightly inconsistent, it worked for me overall. Some intentional choices (for example a man wearing modern glasses during the civil war) made me laugh out loud.
  • Editing: 8/10
Why? Criminally underrated. The editing in the movie is incredibly bad, but never to the point of being annoying, which is no easy thing to do. Yet another argument as to why this movie is a great "So bad it's good" flick.
  • Cinematography: 6/10
Why? Probably the least fun aspect of the film. Yes, it's bad, but it's also really bland and unspecial. The cinematography doesn't add anything to the comedic self-awareness of the film.
  • Score/Soundtrack: 6/10
Why? Apart from a couple of awesome songs played during awesome scenes, I never truly felt its presence or contribution to the film.


FINAL GRADE: 7/10

Comments