Skyscraper (2018)


Director: Rawson Marshall Thurber
Stars: Dwayne Johnson, Neve Campbell, Chin Han
Runtime: 102 minutes

Synopsis: A security expert is determined to save his family from a burning skyscraper.


  • Performances: 4/10
Why? I wouldn't label the performances bad, but rather unspecial. The actors didn't have a whole lot of emotions to show off, which, unfortunately, made their respective characters hard to relate to on a human level. 
  • Screenplay: 2/10
Why? Even for what it tried to be, the film's screenplay was extremely weak and boring. It's filled with frail dialogue, exposition, convenience, and cheese, as well as uninteresting characters you'll forget as soon as the credits start rolling. The story was obviously inspired by 1988's "Die Hard", where a cop tries to save his wife from terrorists who have taken her hostage in the building she works in but ended up being just another cliché, forgettable action flick that lacked depth and originality. Not even Dwayne Johnson's charisma could save such an uninspired script. Oh, and the ending was hilarious.
  • Special Effects: 6/10
Why? They obviously played a big part in the movie, but were as disappointing as every other aspect of it. A lot of shots didn't look convincing in my opinion. However, I did enjoy some of the effects used at the beginning of the film. 
  • Costumes/Makeup: 6/10
Why? Nothing fancy and altogether okay. I did notice a few continuation errors, however. 
  • Editing: 5/10
Why? Some weird jumps between scenes as well as a fair amount of annoying quick cuts. The movie also dragged a lot and made me look at my watch more than once.
  • Cinematography: 4/10
Why? Not exactly the film's focus, nor a quality people look for in movies like these. The camera was pointed at the action, and that's pretty much it.
  • Score/Soundtrack: 5/10
Why? I honestly didn't notice it, which means that it's both boring and just there. It didn't wow me obviously, but also didn't annoy me.


FINAL GRADE: 3/10

Comments

  1. Cackling as I'm reading. I know. God. I watching this the other day, and it was pathetic. I just wondered--are they even trying any more? Does the Rock really even know what happening to him? I just--so much money went into this. I feel so bad for people putting in lots of effort and getting jack-shit, and then a film like this comes along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with every word you just said. Part of me is glad that the movie underperformed at the box office. Shows that people are starting to get tired of these all show, no substance VFX mayhems.

      Delete

Post a Comment