Searching (2018)


Director: Aneesh Chaganty
Stars: John Cho, Debra Messing, Joseph Lee
Runtime: 102 minutes

Synopsis: After his daughter goes missing, David breaks into her laptop to find clues and figure out what happened.

  • Performances: 8/10
Why? John Cho like you've never seen him before. He was incredibly good in the lead role and I truly bought his character's concern and determination. It's without a doubt one of the best performances in his career and one that will stick with you for a long time. Debra Messing was also surprisingly good as the detective in charge of the case. She's not exactly known for being in films like this one, and her character is not as layered as John Cho's, but she delivered a solid performance that I hope will open new doors in her already rich career.
  • Screenplay: 8/10
Why? I was on the edge on my seat the whole time. The film, similarly to "Unfriended", was entirely told through a computer screen, and uses this aspect beautifully and smartly. Every platform was utilized in a way that contributed to the story, adding to the evergrowing tension that grabbed me for the entire runtime of the film. However, I did have some issues with it that I feel I have to address, even though they didn't exactly ruin my experience. There were some cheesy moments that I feel could've been handled better, as well as some clues or discoveries that felt a bit forced. I also have mixed feeling about the last 5 minutes of the film that I can't really discuss without spoiling it. All I'm going to say is that there was a decision made by the writers that didn't really work for me and that could've easily been scrapped from the final draft. But overall, "Searching" is definitely one of the best thrillers of the year, and I can't recommend it enough.
  • Costumes/Makeup: 6/10
Why? Nothing special to mention in this category. 
  • Editing: 9/10
Why? The way the movie was edited was exceptional to say the least. It's a well-paced film that didn't bore me for a second. I also loved how the scenes, which were all shot through a computer screen, were cut together, making it never feel like a gimmick and instead adding to the realism and tension needed for the film to work.   
  • Cinematography: 7/10
Why? Interesting, even though hard to judge. My only issue with it, and it's a really small one, was the way the mouse was moving which didn't feel as genuine as the rest of the film. 
  • Score/Soundtrack: 6/10
Why? I was surprised to see that the film even had a score. It did a pretty good job enhancing the tension, but I still feel that the movie would've been better without one.


FINAL GRADE: 8/10

Comments