A Simple Favor (2018)


Director: Paul Feig
Stars: Anna Kendrick, Blake Lively, Henry Golding
Runtime: 117 minutes

Synopsis: A blogger tries to uncover the truth behind her best friend's sudden and mysterious disappearance.


  • Performances: 5/10

Why? While I consider myself a fan of both Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively's acting chops, I found their performances in this particular film to be over the top and almost caricatural, making their respective characters hard to take seriously. The supporting cast, including the child actors, wasn't much better at giving their characters life on screen. 

  • Screenplay: 4/10

Why? Did you ever wonder how "Gone Girl" would've turned out had it been directed by the man who made the new "Ghostbusters" or "Bridesmaids"? No? Me neither. The plot is extremely similar to David Fincher's project to the point where it became predictable and tensionless. I also did not care for the cliché characters and found the humor to be rather poor. I don't know why I would recommend this film when it has already been done in a much better way.

  • Costumes/Makeup: 7/10

Why? While I did find the clothes worn by the main characters to be a bit cheesy, there is no denying that they did play a big part in defining them throughout the movie and gave them a bit of personality. 

  • Editing: 6/10

Why? Not distracting in any way, but the film did suffer when it came to its pacing and runtime. 

  • Cinematography: 6/10

Why? The film was well shot, but boring-looking. The cinematography didn't wow me, but didn't distract me from the narrative.

  • Score/Soundtrack: 4/10
Why? Ridiculous and at times obnoxious. I'm making it sound worse than it actually is, but I couldn't take it seriously for a second. 


FINAL GRADE: 4/10

Comments