To All the Boys I've Loved Before (2018)


Director: Susan Johnson
Stars: Lana Condor, Noah Centineo, Janel Parrish
Runtime: 99 minutes

Synopsis: A shy teenager's love life is turned upside down when letters she wrote to 5 of her crushes are sent to them.


  • Performances: 5/10

Why? While I didn't hate Lana Condor's take on Lara Jean, I never really felt that her performance elevated her character's representation. I also didn't buy her male co-stars' (Noah Centineo and Israel Broussard) acting at all. They both lacked emotional range and were plainly reciting lines for the entirety of the flick. However, I enjoyed Anna Cathcart as the feisty Kitty, Lara Jean's younger sister.


  • Screenplay: 6/10

Why? Light, fun, and sweet. The movie checks all the boxes of a perfect Netflix film to watch when you have an hour and a half to kill. I found myself enjoying the romcom more than I was expecting to, and that is despite some convenience and inevitable clichés. The characters are likable enough for the audience to care about them, and the whole high school atmosphere is captured very well. 


  • Costumes/Makeup: 7/10

Why? The clothes worn by the characters gave them more personality. And that is highlighted in a scene towards the beginning of the film.


  • Editing: 4/10

Why? There were a lot of quick cuts and rough editing work. However, I do feel that most people won't even notice them. But if you do, you'll probably find them just a tad annoying.


  • Cinematography: 7/10

Why? A pleasant surprise to say the least. I thoroughly enjoyed the way the movie was shot. I thought it had an interesting use of colors and symmetry that made the whole experience much smoother. 


  • Score/Soundtrack: 3/10

Why? By far the movie's biggest liability. The score was distractingly goofy and the soundtrack annoyingly lazy. 


FINAL GRADE: 6/10

Comments