The First Purge (2018)


Director: Gerard McMurray
Stars: Y'lan Noel, Lex Scott Davis, Joivan Wade
Runtime: 98 minutes

Synopsis: A depiction of the very first Purge to take place.

Performances: 3/10
Screenplay: 1/10
Special Effects: 4/10
Costumes/Makeup: 5/10
Editing: 2/10
Cinematography: 3/10
Score/Soundtrack: 3/10

Verdict: "The First Purge" is the fourth installment in the Purge franchise. And as for every fourth installment in a horror franchise, I went in expecting a dumb, self-aware, hilarious flick that wasn't taking itself too seriously, especially with such a ridiculous concept that could be played with endlessly. And while the very first scene was exactly that and kind of set up an over the top tone for the movie, I was ultimately let down by the end product which was filled with sloppily directed action scenes and cheap jump scares. I felt that the movie didn't really know what it wanted to be, and ended up being a mix of ridiculousness and seriousness that didn't work at all for me. I don't really know how to judge "The First Purge" because I felt that the parties involved in it had different views on the approach they wanted to take, but what I know for sure is that the film is one of the weakest in the franchise. And that's saying quite a bit. 

Final Grade: 2/10

Comments