Extinction (2018)


Director: Ben Young
Stars: Lizzy Caplan, Michael Pena, Mike Colter
Runtime: 95 minutes

Synopsis: A family of four must survive what appears to be an alien attempt to invade the planet.

Performances: 6/10
Screenplay: 3/10
Special Effects: 4/10
Costumes/Makeup: 6/10
Editing: 5/10
Cinematography: 6/10
Score/Soundtrack: 3/10

Verdict: As you probably know by now, I am not a huge fan of the quality of Netflix original movies. "Extinction", unfortunately, won't change my mind on that matter. I've seen this type of film done time and again, and I can safely say that the same plot has been explored in a way more interesting way more than once. What sank the movie to me were the characters, which I didn't enjoy at all. The children were incredibly annoying and the adults too dull and two dimensional. Now I know that there comes a point in the movie where all of this is given an explanation, and on some level, it works really well, but that doesn't deviate from the fact that I spent the whole movie with characters I didn't care about whatsoever. The special effects, which obviously played an important role in the film, looked like they were made for a TV movie on the Syfy channel. In fact, that's exactly how the whole thriller felt like: made for the Syfy channel. I honestly can't recommend watching "Extinction". There are way better options out there that fall in the same genre.   

Final Grade: 4/10

Comments