The Red Shoes (1948)


Director: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger
Stars: Anton Walbrook, Marius Goring, Moira Shearer
Runtime: 134 minutes

Synopsis: A ballerina and a composer are hired by ballet magnate Boris Lermontov to perform in a new production based on Hans Christian Andersen's "The Red Shoes".

Performances: 8/10
Screenplay: 8/10
Special Effects: N.A.
Costumes/Makeup: 10/10
Editing: 8/10
Cinematography: 10/10
Score/Soundtrack: 10/10

Verdict: Not long ago, I stumbled into a film I had never heard of before. I immediately fell in love with it and the way it was shot and told. That film is of course "Stairway to Heaven", directed by two of cinema's most influential directors: Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger. So naturally, curiosity got the better of me and I had to check out what other classics they made together. "The Red Shoes" is perhaps one of their most famous projects, and I instantly understood why. It's one of the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen, painted with gorgeous costume and set designs, as well as stunning work from cinematographer Jack Cardiff. Its Oscar-winning score is one of the best written for a movie of any kind, and the choreography of the dance numbers made me feel like I was watching a real ballet. In fact, there's a roughly 15-minute performance that left me speechless despite the fact that I don't really consider myself a fan of the artform. I also loved the dialogue written for the amazingly layered characters, whose portrayals felt very much inspired by stage performances, giving the film a convenient theater atmosphere. "The Red Shoes" is more than just a movie, it's a moving painting that will make lovers of classical music, dance, and cinema alike fall in love with it in a heartbeat. It's one of Martin Scorsese's favorite projects of all time for a reason, and one I'll be remembering forever.   

Final Grade: 9/10

Comments