Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)


Director: Christopher McQuarrie
Stars: Tom Cruise, Henry Cavill, Ving Rhames
Runtime: 157 minutes

Synopsis: Ethan Hunt and his IMF team find themselves once again in the middle of a mission that, if gone wrong, could cause the world to go to chaos.   

Performances: 7/10
Screenplay: 5/10
Special Effects: 7/10
Costumes/Makeup: 6/10
Editing: 5/10
Cinematography: 7/10
Score/Soundtrack: 6/10

Verdict: The "Mission: Impossible" franchise is one I never really got into. I've seen all five previous installments, and I can't honestly say that I loved any of them. Some are better than others for sure, but overall it's pretty much Tom Cruise pulling off impossible stunts that keeps them from being just like every other action/spy thriller out there. Having said that, I went in to watch "Fallout" with fairly reasonable expectations. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but there was something about the trailer that got me a bit more excited than usual. I would say that these expectations were met. No more, no less. The sixth installment in the franchise is probably the best one, but it still felt very much like its predecessors. The action scenes were by far the best parts of the blockbuster, and Tom Cruise, even though I didn't particularly enjoy his dramatic performance, pulled off crazy stunts that alone are worth your money (and he's 56 years old!). The action was also pretty well shot, like the rest of the movie. My issues with the film come with the story-centric parts. and there was quite a lot of them (I found the runtime of the movie to be ridiculously long). It followed the same formula as every other MI movie, which kind of made it cruelly laking stakes and at times even boring. I was also disappointed by the main villain portrayed by Sean Harris whom I didn't find threatening at all. In fact, I found his performance to be rather over the top, and I had a hard time taking him seriously. Simon Pegg as Benji was fine, and so were Rebecca Ferguson and Ving Rhames. Henry Cavill was in my opinion underutilized and a waste of potential, but I still enjoyed his presence overall. In the end, if you're a fan of the franchise, then "Fallout" is a must without a single doubt. But, if like me you never really cared about it, chances are you won't care for this one as well.     

Final Grade: 6/10

Comments