Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018)


Director: Ol Parker
Stars: Lily James, Amanda Seyfried, Meryl Streep 
Runtime: 114 minutes

Synopsis: Sequel to "Mamma Mia" (2008) in which Donna's past is explored.

Performances: 8/10
Screenplay: 5/10
Special Effects: N.A.
Costumes/Makeup: 8/10
Editing: 6/10
Cinematography: 8/10
Score/Soundtrack: 9/10

Verdict: "Mamma Mia" remains to this day one of my biggest guilty pleasures. I never really cared about its story or who Sophie's real dad is, but absolutely love the soundtrack and dance sequences. This is why I was surprised to learn that the musical was getting a sequel. As we all know, the songs featured in the film are all written by ABBA, and I couldn't see how the sequel was going to deliver something new when all the good songs were utilized in the first installment. The answer turned out to be pretty simple: ABBA has more hits than I thought they had and, apart from two or three songs, the movie has an entirely different soundtrack. In this film again, I didn't really care much for the story (but I have to give props to whoever cast the on-point young versions of the main characters who turned out to be good singers as well) and found myself mostly enjoying the soundtrack and the excellently choreographed dance sequences. When the movie ended, I noticed that I had been smiling for its entire runtime, and that should tell you everything you need to know about it. I, however, don't think that the movie quite stick the landing. It ended about 4 different times but just kept going on for some reason. I found "Here We Go Again" to actually be a big and pleasant surprise that all fans of its predecessor will enjoy for sure. 

Final Grade: 7/10

Comments