Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)


Director: Chris Colombus
Stars: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Richard Harris
Runtime: 152 minutes

Synopsis: After discovering that he was a wizard, Harry Potter has to adapt to his new lifestyle in Hogwarts. 

Performances: 5/10
Screenplay: 7/10
Special Effects: 5/10
Costumes/Makeup: 9/10
Editing: 7/10
Cinematography: 7/10
Score/Soundtrack: 9/10

Verdict: I remember watching this movie for the very first time in theaters when I was 6. I instantly fell in love with J.K. Rowling's universe and became a loyal Potterhead (I'm a Hufflepuff, in case you're wondering). I have since read all the books and watched all the films (much) more than once. Harry Potter has been a big part of my life, and remains so to this day. The newest chapter in Rowling's universe, "The Crimes of Grindelwald", is being released later this year, and I thought It'd be fun to share with you my thoughts on the previous entries in the franchise.
"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" had the task of introducing the audience to the wizarding world of the boy who lived, and it does so superbly. The set designs, costumes, and props used, as well as the general atmosphere established, invite the targetted audience to leave the real world and enter a magical universe that they'll never want to leave. John Williams' iconic score also played a huge part in bringing that universe to life and has been used in every single movie in the franchise afterward. Now I used the term "targetted audience" because watching the film now, I can see that the film is far from perfect. In fact, it's a little childish and definitely made for kids who are in the same age range as the protagonist, which, when you think about it, makes a lot of sense. This, along with the dated special effects, at times cheesy dialogue, and awkward child performances (thank God they turned out to be good actors in later installments) are the main reasons why this particular entry is not my favorite Harry Potter movie. However, it's still a very personal film to me that I revisit at least once a year, and one that pretty much succeeds at what it was trying to do, which is to introduce both the world and characters to its audience. 

Final Grade: 7/10

Comments