Gotti (2018)


Director: Kevin Connolly
Stars: John Travolta, Spencer Rocco Lofranco, Kelly Preston
Runtime: 104 minutes

Synopsis: About the rise in power of notorious crime boss John Gotti.

Performances: 5/10
Screenplay: 2/10
Special Effects: N.A.
Costumes/Makeup: 7/10
Editing: 3/10
Cinematography: 6/10
Score/Soundtrack: 4/10 

Verdict: As I'm writing this, "Gotti" has a glistening 0% score on Rotten Tomatoes, meaning that not one critic gave it a score higher than 6/10. This obviously encouraged me to watch the film, since I sometimes enjoy "so bad it's good" films, and this one seemed to fit the description perfectly. But I was let down. "Gotti" is not a good movie by any means, but it's not because it was hilariously shot, or terribly acted. In fact, the cinematography was kind of decent, and the acting, while not being consistent, was okay. The main problem of the biography was its screenplay, which was incredibly boring and repetitive. I honestly started looking at my watch 10 minutes into the film and almost fell asleep more than once during its 104-minute runtime. Pitbull's soundtrack (Yes, that Pitbull) didn't help either. It's also incredibly boring, cheesy, and predictable. The dialogue and the characters were uninteresting, and the editing was all over the place, jumping from one timeline to another unnecessarily, only making the movie harder to follow. Technically speaking, I don't think "Gotti" deserves all the hate it's getting, but I'd only recommend it to people who suffer from insomnia.

Final Grade: 3/10

Comments