1/1 (2018)


Director: Jeremy Phillips
Stars: Lindsey Shaw, Judd Nelson, Dendrie Taylor
Runtime: 85 minutes

Synopsis: A look at Lissa's tainted and depressing life, with a focus on her relationship with her parents and her boyfriend. 

Performances: 8/10
Screenplay: 6/10
Special Effects: N.A.
Costumes/Makeup: 7/10
Editing: 7/10
Cinematography: 8/10
Score/Soundtrack: 4/10

Verdict: Is "1/1" the best movie of the year? I don't think it is. Is it the most unique one? Yes. I don't think I've ever witnessed a story told the way it was in this film written and directed by Jeremy Phillips. Ambitious films are always a gamble to make, as they could either be viewed as pretentious or genius. And I believe "1/1" is a mix of both. I really enjoyed how the narrative was pieced together in such a way that the audience was able to see what was going on in the protagonist's head, and I liked how every subplot was divided into the same segments. The story is one that has been studied many, many times, and it became immediately apparent that Phillips was focusing on its style over its matter. The performances were all also pretty great, especially Lindsey Shaw's whom I hope to see more of in the future. One thing that I found disappointing though was the score, which played a big role in the movie. I thought it lacked personality and was too repetitive to truly stand out. I can't promise that you'll enjoy "1/1", because I'm not entirely sure I did. What I know though for a fact is that I found it fascinating, and that is despite it containing quite a bit of pretentious moments.   

Final Grade: 7/10

Comments