Thoroughbreds (2017)


Director: Cory Finley
Stars: Olivia Cooke, Anya Taylor-Joy, Anton Yelchin
Runtime: 92 minutes

Synopsis: Two friends resort to the unthinkable in order to get rid of their problems.

Performances: 9/10
Screenplay: 8/10
Editing: 8/10
Cinematography: 8/10
Score/Soundtrack: 8/10 

Verdict: God I love "Thoroughbreds". I love the acting, the chemistry, the score, the cinematography, the dialogue, the personalities... I love the simplicity of the narrative which, when matched with the complexity of the characters, makes for a very entertaining, charming, nuanced, and subtly funny watch.
The film, which was originally written as a play, follows the unusual friendship between Amanda and Lily, played respectively by Olivia Cooke and Anya Taylor-Joy. The former is emotionless, cold, and very honest while the latter is shyer, more sensitive, and holds a deep hatred towards her stepfather. Throughout the very well-paced narrative, we slowly explore how the two influenced one another, and what the result of such a peculiar relationship can result in. It's masterfully executed, without ever relying on clichés to get the message through. Its simplicity is what makes it both a fascinating and light watch at the same time. One I can see myself popping in at any moment. I don't really have any issues with Cory Finley's directorial debut, but I have to admit that I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the very last couple of minutes. I don't know if I love it, hate it, or if I'm kind of okay with it, and the more I think about it, the more uncertain I become.
"Thoroughbreds" was just recently added on Netflix and that's why I felt the urge to revisit it. I don't know if it's something that will resonate with everybody but if the synopsis sounds interesting to you, I strongly recommend at least giving it a shot.

Final Grade: 8/10

Comments